Thursday, April 29, 2010

Perfect Pizza Party

You know what you should make Mollie? Pizza! suggested one of my roommates. (Oh boys. What is it about them not liking cake?)
Bahahahaha! Funny joke, my friend. Funny joke. I make a cake of the week. Occasionally I branch out to make cookies, and on a very rare day I go for a pie. But a pizza pie? I'm not so sure about that.BUT, I never back down from a challenge. So in yoga one night I started thinking...and pondering...and planning the possibilities...(the teacher is always telling us to "meditate" - as if that's even possible!). Yes I will do it. I will make pizza.
Though I really can't claim to be a pizza "maker." I bought dough, sauce, and toppings. I've made pizza crust before, but the Trader Joe's kind is really good, and cheap...so why bother?And toppings, well, not a whole lot of "making" going on there. Can o'olives, package of pepperoni, pre-shredded cheese, assorted veggies...yep, I'm that lazy.

So a pizza maker? No. I like to think of myself as more of a pizza decorator! Because that's how the process felt. 

I rolled out my four rounds of dough: 3 on cookie sheets, and the last on my one pizza pan. 

Then a dash of this, a sprinkle of that, and voila! Pizzas!

The best thing about making your own pizza is that you can completely control the toppings and the thickness of the crust. Everyone has their pizza particulars. I'm a whole wheat, thin crust, extra red sauce, light on the cheese, heavy on the toppings kind of person. (My dad is the complete opposite: thick crust, no sauce, lots of meat. My sister is a cheese cheese and more cheese, nothing crazy, nothing fancy, kind of girl. And my mama just eats whatever you put in front of her.)

So this particular pizza party was for a house dinner occasion. (You didn't think I was making four pizzas for myself, did you?)

First I made a traditional Pepperoni and Mushroom Pizza to accommodate my less-adventurous guests. Mozzarella cheese, red sauce, all things good.Then I made a Mexican Pizza:
I mixed a spoonful of sauce with a cup of pico de gaillo salsa and spread it on a plain crust.
Then I sprinkled it with a Mexican shredded cheese blend.
Toppings: Pre-cooked grilled chicken (holler Trader Joe's!), sliced yellow peppers, chopped onion, and black olives.
And ta-da! my piece de resistence...the pizza that required 3 yoga poses to work through in my mind...Gorgonzola Pear Pizza! Whole wheat crust, tomato sauce, a layer of fresh spinach, sprinkled with gorgonzola and a little bit of mozarella cheese, then topped with chopped onion, artichoke hearts, and a sliced pear. Yep. That happened. And the fourth pizza, we'll call it Everything Pizza, on an herb crust, was just a mix of all the leftover toppings.
I'd say that the challenge was met, and my pizza party was a great success!
What's your pizza preference?