Thursday, April 22, 2010

Book List from Dark Star Safari

Want to hear some fabulous news? It's GREEN FRIDAY!!! What does that mean? Well, here at NatGeo, we save the earth by not going to work. Win and win. No, you cannot have my job.

Anywho, this post is a bit of a follow-up to yesterday's (I blogged about my new-to-my-top-10-faves book, Dark Star Safari). About 150 pages into the book, I noticed that Theroux often mentions books by other authors. So I started noting them down on the napkin I was using as my bookmark. By the end of the book, that little Continental cocktail napkin (from my trip to Texas) was covered, back and front, with a new book list.

So here it is:

Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Killing Rage - Eamon Collin
Lords of Poverty - Graham Hancock
The Road to Hell - Michael Maren
Africa Betrayed - George Ayittey
Africa in Chaos - George Ayittey
The Man-Eaters of Tsavo - John Henry Patterson
Animal Farm - George Orwell
The Grass is Singing - Doris Lessing
Jump - Nadine Gordimer
July's People - Nadine Gordimer
A Guest of Honor - Nadine Gordimer
The Mosquito Coast - Paul Theroux
Jungle Lovers - Paul Theroux
The Return of Water - Kimball Taylor
Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
Les Onze Mille Verges - Guillaume Apollinaire
Finnegans Wake - James Joyce
Volksmoorde/Genocide - Hattingh Fourie
A Handful of Dust - Evelyn Waugh
Sons and Lovers - D.H. Lawrence

I have read many books about Africa, but I've never read any of these, have you?

Anywho, hope you enjoy your weekend!

Happy Earth Day! (I will be hitting up the Environmental Film Festival and the Earth Day Festival and Concert on the Mall.)